(St.). Patron saint of penitents, being herself the model
penitent of Gospel history. In Christian art she is represented (1) as
a patron saint, young and beautiful, with a profusion of hair,
and holding a box of ointment; (2) as a penitent, in a
sequestered place, reading before a cross or skull.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Mary Magdalene from Fact Monster:
- Mary Magdalene - Mary Magdalene Mary Magdalene [traditionally Greek=of Magdala], Christian saint, a woman widely ...
- Mary Magdalene - Biography of Mary Magdalene, Closest female disciple of Jesus of Nazareth
- Magdalen - Magdalen: Magdalen: see Mary Magdalene.
- Magdala, in the Bible - Magdala Magdala , in the New Testament, home of Mary Magdalene. It is identified with Magdal, a ...
- Sutton-in-Ashfield - Sutton-in-Ashfield Sutton-in-Ashfield, town (1991 pop. 39,536), Nottinghamshire, central England. ...