was so named from the bay massa [great], wadehuash
[mountain], et [near]. The bay-near-the-great-mountain.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Massachusetts from Fact Monster:
- University of Massachusetts - Massachusetts, University of Massachusetts, University of, main campus at Amherst; land-grant and ...
- Massachusetts - Map of Massachusetts & articles on flags, geography, history, statistics, disasters, and current events.
- Massachusetts - Information on Massachusetts — economy, government, culture, state map and flag, major cities, points of interest, famous residents, state motto, symbols, nicknames, and other trivia.
- Bunker Hill Day: Massachusetts - Bunker Hill Day in Massachusetts celebrates the Battle of Bunker Hill that took place on June 17, 1775, in Charlestown, Massachusetts during the Revolutionary War.
- State Holidays - Oddball Holidays Five state holidays you may not know by Elissa Haney Do you have Casimir Pulaski ...