The doctrines of a Materialist, who maintains that the
soul and spirit are effects of matter. The orthodox doctrine is that
the soul is distinct from the body, and is a portion of the Divine
essence breathed into the body. A materialist, of course, does not
believe in a “spiritual deity” distinct from matter. Tertullian
contended that the Bible proves the soul to be “material,” and he
charges the “spiritual” view to the heretical doctrines of the Platonic
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Materialism from Fact Monster:
- strength of materials - strength of materials strength of materials, measurement in engineering of the capacity of metal, ...
- dialectical materialism - dialectical materialism dialectical materialism, official philosophy of Communism, based on the ...
- MATERIALS - Any substance that is used to make something is a material. Natural materials such as stone and wood are used as they are found in nature. SYNTHETIC m
- materialism - materialism materialism, in philosophy, a widely held system of thought that explains the nature of ...
- strength of materials - materials, strength of: materials, strength of: see strength of materials.