Daughter of Lord Robert Fitzwalter. Michael Drayton has a poem of
some 670 lines so called.
Daughter of Rokeby, and niece of Mortham. She was beloved by
Wilfrid, son of Oswald, but loved Redmond, her father's page, who turns
out to be Mortham's son. (Scott: Rokeby)
Sister of Gessler; in love with Arnold, a Swiss, who had saved her
life when threatened by the fall of an avalanche. After the death of
Gessler, who was shot by William Tell, the marriage of these lovers is
consummated. (Rossini: Guglielmo Tell, an opera.)
(See Gifford's Baviad and Mæviad.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Matilda from Fact Monster:
- Matilda, countess of Tuscany - Matilda Matilda, 1046–1115, countess of Tuscany, called the Great Countess; supporter of Pope ...
- Matilda, queen of England - Matilda Matilda or Maud,1102–67, queen of England, daughter of Henry I of England. Henry ...
- Henry I, German king - Henry I Henry I or Henry the Fowler,876?–936, German king (919–36), first of the Saxon ...
- Matilda - Starring Danny DeVito, Rhea Perlman, Mara Wilson, Pam Ferris, Emma Davidtz
- Saint Matilda - Matilda, Saint: Matilda, Saint: see Henry I (Henry the Fowler).