The matrimonial Matterhorn. The leap in the dark. The
Matterhorn is the German name for Mont Cervin, a mountain of the
Pennine Alps, about 40 miles east-north-east of Mont Blanc. Above an
unbroken glacier-line of 11,000 feet high, it rises in an inaccessible
obelisk of rock more than 3,000 feet higher. The total elevation of the
Matterhorn is 14,836 feet. Figuratively any danger, or desperate
situation threatening destruction.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Matterhorn from Fact Monster:
- Matterhorn - Matterhorn Matterhorn , Fr. Mont Cervin, Ital. Monte Cervino, peak, c.14,700 ft (4,480 m) high, in ...
- Mont Cervin - Cervin, Mont Cervin, Mont, or Monte Cervino:see Matterhorn.
- Zermatt - Zermatt Zermatt , village (1989 est. pop. 4,000), Valais canton, S Switzerland. Near the ...
- Annie Smith Peck - Annie Smith Peck mountain climber Born: 1850 Birthplace: Providence, R.I. Annie Smith Peck had a ...
- Edward Whymper - Whymper, Edward Whymper, Edward , 1840–1911, English illustrator and mountain climber, b. ...
24 X 7
||24 x 7 Tutor Availability
||Unlimited Online Tutoring