(St.) in Christian art is represented (1) as an evangelist- an
old man with long beard; an angel generally stands near him dictating
his Gospel. (2) As an apostie, in which capacity he bears a purse, in
reference to his calling as a publican; sometimes he carries a spear,
sometimes a carpenter's rule or square. (See Luke.)
In the last of Matthew.
At the last gasp, on one's last legs. This is a German expression,
and arose thus: A Catholic priest said in his sermon that Protestantism
was in the last of Matthew, and, being asked what he meant, replied,
“The last five words of the Gospel of St. Matthew are these: ‘The end
of this dispensation.’ Of course he quoted the Latin version; ours is
less correctly translated ‘the end of the world.’”
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Matthew from Fact Monster:
- William Matthews - William Matthews poet Born: 11/11/1942 Birthplace: Cincinnati, Ohio Awarded the National Book ...
- Gospel according to Matthew - Matthew, Gospel according to Matthew, Gospel according to, 1st book of the New Testament. Scholars ...
- Brander Matthews - Matthews, Brander Matthews, Brander (James Brander Matthews), 1852–1929, American author and ...
- Dave Matthews - Dave Matthews musician Born: 1/9/1967 Birthplace: South Africa Founder of the Dave Matthews Band, a ...
- John Rogers, English Protestant martyr - Rogers, John Rogers, John, 1500?–1555, English Protestant martyr, grad. Cambridge, 1526. He ...
24 X 7
||24 x 7 Tutor Availability
||Unlimited Online Tutoring