Distinguished for throwing the javelin. He slew the
Calydonian boar. It was declared by the fates that he would die as soon
as a piece of wood then on the fire was burnt up; whereupon his mother
snatched the log from the fire and extinguished it; but after Meleager
had slain his maternal uncles, his mother threw the brand on the fire
again, and Meleager died.
The death of Meleager was a favourite subject in ancient reliefs.
The famous picture of Charles le Brun is in the Musee Imperiale of
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Meleager from Fact Monster:
- Meleager - Meleager Meleager , hero in Greek mythology. He was the son of Oeneus, king of Calydon, and ...
- Oeneus - Oeneus Oeneus , in Greek mythology, king of Calydon and father of Meleager. When Oeneus forgot to ...
- Atalanta - Atalanta Atalanta , in Greek mythology, huntress famous for her speed and skill. She took part in ...
- Scopas - Scopas Scopas , Greek sculptor, fl. 4th cent. B.C., b. Paros. Although numbered among the ...
- Greek Anthology - Greek Anthology Greek Anthology, a collection of short epigrammatic poems representing Greek ...