The kitchen midden. The dust-bin. The farmer's midden is the
dunghill. The word is Scotch. (Danish, mödding; Norwegian, mudder; Welsh, mwydo (to wet), our mud and mire.)
Better marry over the midden than over the moor.
Better seek a wife among your neighbours whom you know than among
strangers of whom you know nothing. The midden, in Scotland, is the
domestic rubbish heap.
Ilka cock craws loodest on its ain midden.
In English, “Every cock crows loudest on his own dunghill.” A
midden is an ash-pit, a refuse-heap.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Midden from Fact Monster:
- kitchen midden - kitchen midden kitchen midden, refuse heap left by a prehistoric settlement; more specifically, a ...
- shell mound - shell mound shell mound, in archaeology, a mound consisting largely of the shells of edible ...
- Mesolithic period - Mesolithic period Mesolithic period or Middle Stone Age,period in human development between the end ...
- Encyclopedia: Archaeology: General - Encyclopeadia articles concerning Archaeology: General.
- archaeology: Modern Archaeology - Modern Archaeology In contrast to the antiquarianism of classical archaeology, anthropological ...