To drown the miller. (See Drown , etc.)
To give one the miller
is to engage a person in conversation till a sufficient number of
persons have gathered together to set upon the victim with stones,
dirt, garbage, and all the arms which haste supplies a mob with.
More water glideth by the mill than wots the miller of
ii. 1). Many things are done in a house
which the master and mistress never dream of.
A Joe Miller. A stale jest. John Mottley compiled a book of
&facetiae; in the reign of James II., which he entitled Joe Miller's
Jests, from a witty actor of farce during the time that Congreve's
plays were in vogue. A stale jest is called a “Joe Miller,” implying
that it is stolen from Mottley's compilation. (Joe Miller,
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Miller from Fact Monster:
- William Miller - Miller, William Miller, William, 1782–1849, American sectarian leader, b. Pittsfield, Mass. ...
- Cheryl Miller - Cheryl Miller Born: Jan. 3, 1964 Basketball 3-time College Player of Year (1984-86); led USC to ...
- Dennis Miller - Dennis Miller comedian/actor Born: 11/3/1953 Birthplace: Philadelphia Emmy Award winning comedian ...
- Shannon Miller - Shannon Miller Born: Mar. 10, 1977 Gymnast won 5 medals in 1992 Olympics and 2 golds in '96 ...
- Del Miller - Del Miller Born: July 5, 1913 Harness racing driver, trainer, owner, breeder, seller and track ...