[Laughing-water]. The lovely daughter of the old arrow-maker
of the Dacotahs, and wife of Hiawath'a. She died of famine. Two guests
came uninvited into Hiawatha's wigwam, and the foremost said, “Behold
me! I am Famine;” and the other said, “Behold me! I am Fever;” and
Minnehaha shuddered to look on them, and hid her face, and lay
trembling, freezing, burning, at the looks they cast upon her. “Ah!” cried Laughing-water, “the eyes of Pauguk [death] glare upon me, I can
feel his icy fingers clasping mine amidst the darkness,” and she died
crying, “Hiawatha! Hiawatha!” (Long-fellow: Hiawatha.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Minnehaha from Fact Monster:
- Lake Minnetonka - Minnetonka, Lake: Minnetonka, Lake: see Minnehaha Falls.
- - Can't read file south-dakota/minnehaha-county/default.html
- Sioux Falls - Sioux Falls Sioux Falls, city (1990 pop. 100,814), seat of Minnehaha co., SE S.Dak., on the Big ...
- Larry Lee PRESSLER - PRESSLER, Larry Lee (1942—) Senate Years of Service: 1979-1997. Party: Republican PRESSLER, ...
- South Dakota - Information on South Dakota — economy, government, culture, state map and flag, major cities, points of interest, famous residents, state motto, symbols, nicknames, and other trivia.