A woman of extra-ordinary beauty, born in the Old Bailey. She
was twelve years a courtesan, five times a wife, twelve years a thief,
eight years a transport in Virginia; but ultimately grew rich, lived
honestly, and died a penitent. (Charles II.'s reign.) (See Daniel Defoe's Moll Flanders.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Moll Flanders from Fact Monster:
- Robin Wright Penn - Robin Wright Penn (Robin Wright) actress Born: 4/8/1966 Birthplace: Dallas, Texas Before garnering ...
- Stockard Channing - Stockard Channing (Susan Stockard) actress Born: 2/13/1944 Birthplace: New York City An ...
- Daniel Defoe - Biography of Daniel Defoe, The author of Robinson Crusoe
- Daniel Defoe: Defoe the Novelist - Defoe the Novelist He was nearly sixty when he turned to writing novels. In 1719 he published his ...
- novel: Early European Novels - Early European Novels The realistic and romantic tendencies converge in Cervantes's Don Quixote ...