A theological party of the third century, who maintained
that God is one, immutable and primary. Their opponents turned upon
them, and nicknamed them Patripassians (q.v.), saying that
according to such a doctrine God the Father must have suffered on the
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Monarchians from Fact Monster:
- monarchianism - monarchianism monarchianism [Gr.,=belief in the rule of one], the concept of God that maintains his ...
- Patripassians - Patripassians: Patripassians: see monarchianism.
- Docetism - Docetism Docetism [Gr.,=to appear], early heretical trend in Christian thought. Docetists claimed ...
- Theodotians - Theodotians Theodotians, small heretical sect, formed c.190 by Theodotus, a Byzantine. It lasted ...
- Sabellius - Sabellius Sabellius, fl. 215, Christian priest and theologian, b. probably Libya or Egypt. He went ...