[the mountain party ]. The extreme democratic
politicians in the French Revolution; so called because they occupied
the highest tier of benches in the hall of the National Convention. The
opposite party sat on the level of the floor, called the “plain.”
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Montagnards from Fact Monster:
- the Mountain - Mountain, the Mountain, the, in French history, the label applied to deputies sitting on the raised ...
- Montagnards - Montagnards: Montagnards: see Mountain, the.
- Operation Dumbo Drop - Synopsis, rating, and other information
- Encyclopedia: French History - Encyclopeadia articles concerning French History.
- Vietnam - Vietnam Profile: People, History, Government and Political Conditions, Economy, Foreign Relations, U.S.-Vietnam Relations