A scalloped basin to cool and wash glasses in; a sort of
punch-bowl, made of silver or pewter, with a movable rim scalloped at
the top; so called from its inventor.
New things produce new names, and thus Monteith
Has by one vessel saved his name from death.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Monteith' from Fact Monster:
- Sir Ian Standish Monteith Hamilton - Hamilton, Sir Ian Standish Monteith Hamilton, Sir Ian Standish Monteith , 1853–1947, British ...
- Dumbarton, two, Scotland - Dumbarton Dumbarton , town (1991 pop. 23,550), West Dunbartonshire, W Scotland, at the confluence ...
- George Paul HARRISON - HARRISON, George Paul (1841—1922) HARRISON, George Paul, a Representative from Alabama; born ...
- Stuart, Robert, 1st duke of Albany - Stuart or Stewart, Robert, 1st duke of Albany Stuart or Stewart, Robert, 1st duke of Albany, ...
- Monte Carlo - Starring Selena Gomez, Leighton Meester, Katie Cassidy, Corey Monteith, Andie MacDowell