The Catalonians aver that this mountain was riven and shattered
at the Crucifixion. Every rift is filled with evergreens. Similar
legends exist with regard to many other mountains. (Latin, mons
serratus, the mountain jagged like a saw.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Montserrat from Fact Monster:
- Montserrat - Information on Montserrat — geography, history, politics, government, economy, population statistics, culture, religion, languages, largest cities.
- Montserrat, mountain, Spain - Montserrat Montserrat or Monserrat, mountain, 4,054 ft (1,236 m) high, NE Spain, rising abruptly ...
- Montserrat - Map of Montserrat & articles on flags, geography, history, statistics, disasters current events, and international relations.
- Montserrat, island, West Indies - Montserrat Montserrat , British dependency and island (2005 est. pop. 9,000), 38 sq mi (98 sq km), ...
- Recent Volcanic Activity - Recent Volcanic Activity (Bold indicates activity in 2007, 2008, and 2009) The following table ...