So called from the river Moscowa, on which it is built.
The monarch of Moscow.
A large bell weighing 193 tons, 21 feet high, and 21 feet in
diameter. [So-and-So] was my Moscow. The turning-point of my
good fortune, leading to future shoals and misery. The reference is to
Napoleon's disastrous expedition, when his star hastened to its
“Juan was my Moscow [the ruin of my reputation].” Byron: Don Juan, xi. 56.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Moscow from Fact Monster:
- Eloise in Moscow - Book Review - Eloise in Moscow More Impish Fun? "Oh definitely Da" by Holly Hartman Guess what ...
- grand duchy of Moscow - Moscow or Muscovy, grand duchy of Moscow or Muscovy, grand duchy of, state existing in W central ...
- Moscow, city, Russia - Moscow Moscow , Rus. Moskva, city (1991 est. pop. 8,802,000), capital of Russia and of Moscow ...
- Gorky, suburb of Moscow, Russia - Gorky Gorky or Gorky Leninskoye, suburb of Moscow, central European Russia. The country home of ...
- Moscow, city, Russia: History - History Although archaeological evidence indicates that the site has been occupied since Neolithic ...