(an archaic form is mushrump). (French, mousseron, a white mushroom; Latin, muscus, moss.)
“Vocatur fungus muscarum, eo quod in lacte pulverizatus interflcit
muscas.” —Albertus Magnus, vii. 345.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Mushroom from Fact Monster:
- mushroom - mushroom mushroom, type of basidium fungus characterized by spore-bearing gills on the underside of ...
- psilocybin - psilocybin psilocybin , perception-altering substance found in some species of mushroom. See ...
- Giant Fungus - Giant fungus is world's largest living organism.
- mushroom poisoning - mushroom poisoning mushroom poisoning, fungal poisoning caused by ingestion of certain mushrooms ...
- America's "Capitals of the World" - Profiles of ten of America's most interesting (self-proclaimed) capitals of the world.