A kind of mediæval drama, the characters and events of which
were drawn from sacred history.
or Mysterium. Said to make up the number 666 referred to
in Rev. xvii. 5. This would not be worthy notice, except for the fact
that the word “mystery” was, till the time of the Reformation,
inscribed on the Pope's mitre.
Almost any phrase or long name can be twisted into this number. (See Number Of The Beast.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Mystery from Fact Monster:
- mysteries - mysteries mysteries, in Greek and Roman religion, some important secret cults. The conventional ...
- Mysterious Disappearances - Mysterious Disappearances 1872 Mary Celeste: the brigantine set sail from New York harbor for ...
- mystery - mystery mystery or mystery story,literary genre in which the cause (or causes) of a mysterious ...
- Top Mystery Books - Top Mystery Books Warning: Don’t crack open these books if you’re eager for a good ...
- Dracula: Fact, History, Mystery - All About Dracula Facts, history, and legends by David Johnson Learn all about Dracula and vampires ...