An Arabic word, signifying that point in the heavens which is
directly opposite to the zenith.
From zenith down to nadir.
From the highest point of elevation to the lowest depth. Nadir. A representation of the planetary system.
“We then lost (1091) a most beautiful table, fabricated of different
metals ... Saturn was of copper, Jupiter of gold, Mars of iron, the Sun
of latten, Mercury of amber, Venus of tin, and the Moon of silver ...
It was the most celebrated nadir in all England.” —Ingulphus.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Nadir from Fact Monster:
- nadir - nadir nadir [Arab.,=opposite], in astronomy, the point on the celestial sphere directly opposite ...
- Nader Shah - Nader Shah: Nader Shah: see Nadir Shah.
- Tahmasp Kuli Khan - Tahmasp Kuli Khan: Tahmasp Kuli Khan: see Nadir Shah.
- Ahmad Shah - Ahmad Shah Ahmad Shah , c.1723–1773, Afghan ruler (1747–73), founder of the Durani ...
- celestial horizon - celestial horizon celestial horizon, one axis of the altazimuth coordinate system. It is the great ...