Money borrowed by the Government, on the security of the taxes,
which are pledged to the lenders for the payment of interest.
The National Debt
in William III.'s reign was 15,730,439.
At the commencement of the American war,128,583,635. At the close
At the close of the French war, 840,850,491.
Cancelled between 1817 and 1854, 85,538,790. Created by Crimean war,
In 1866, 802,842,949.
In 1872 it was 792,740,000.
In 1875 it was 714,797,715.
In 1879 it was 702,430,594.
In 1892 it was 677,679,571.
In 1893 it was 671,042,842.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on National Debt from Fact Monster:
- Budgets - Budgets A budget is a tool used by individuals, businesses, and governments to predict flows of ...
- The Public Debt - The Public Debt Year Gross debt amount 1800 $82,976,294 1805 82,312,151 1810 53,173,218 1815 ...
- national debt - national debt: national debt: see debt, public.
- Amendments to the Constitution of the United States - Amendments to the Constitution of the United States (Amendments I to X inclusive, popularly known ...
- Mario Echandi Jiménez - Echandi Jiménez, Mario Echandi Jiménez, Mario , 1915–, president of Costa Rica ...