A necklace of coral or white bryony beads used to be worn round
the necks of children to aid their teething. Necklaces of hyoscyamus or
henbane-root have been recommended for the same purpose. In Italy
coral beloques are worn as a charm against the “evil eye.”
The diamond necklace
(1785). (See Diamond Necklace.)
The fatal necklace.
Cadmos received on his wedding-day the present of a necklace,
which proved fatal to everyone who possessed it. Some say that Vulcan,
and others that Europa, gave the necklace to Cadmos Harmonia's necklace
(q.v.) was a similar fatal gift. (See Fatal Gifts.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Necklace from Fact Monster:
- necklace - necklace: necklace: see jewelry.
- Affair of the Diamond Necklace - Diamond Necklace, Affair of the Diamond Necklace, Affair of the, scandal that took place at the ...
- Analogy Quiz - (What is an analogy?) NECKLACE : JEWELRY :: _____ : organ Hint heart fragile earring Word Quiz ...
- YU-GI-OH! TV Series: 1 - YU-GI-OH! TV Series Yu-Gi-Oh! is the name of a collectable card game and a movie, but it's also ...
- Job's-tears - Job's-tears Job's-tears, tall tropical plant of the family Gramineae (grass family), Coix ...