(2 syl.). Sea-nymphs, daughter of Nereus (2 syl.), fifty in
or Nereides (4 syl.). Seanymphs. Camoens, in his Lusiad, gives the names of three- Doto, Nyse, and Nerine; but he has
spiritualised their office, and makes them the sea-guardians of the
virtuous. They went before the fleet of Gama, and when the treacherous
pilot supplied by Zaceeia, King of Mozambique, steered the ship of
Vasco da Gama towards a sunken rock, these guardian nymphs pressed
against the prow, lifting it from the water and turning it round. The
pilot, looking to see the cause of this strange occurrence, beheld the
rock which had nearly proved the ruin of the whole fleet (bk. ii.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Nereids from Fact Monster:
- nereids - nereids: nereids: see nymph.
- Nereid - Nereid Nereid , in astronomy, one of the eight known moons, or natural satellites, of Neptune.
- nymph, in Greek mythology - nymph nymph , in Greek mythology, female divinity associated with various natural objects. It is ...
- Nereus - Nereus Nereus , in Greek mythology, seagod. He was the son of Pontus and Gaea and the father of the ...
- Andromeda, in Greek mythology - Andromeda Andromeda , in Greek mythology, princess of Ethiopia, daughter of King Cepheus, king of ...
24 X 7
||24 x 7 Tutor Availability
||Unlimited Online Tutoring