A mythical king of Norway, whose subjects are called
Nibelungers and territory the Nibelungenland. There were two
contemporary kings in this realm, against whom Siegfried. Prince of the
Netherlands, fought. He slew the twelve giants who formed their
paladins with 700 of their chiefs, and made their country tributary
(Lay iii.). The word is from nebcl (darkness), and means the
children of mist or darkness. (See Nibelungen-Lied.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Nibelung from Fact Monster:
- Nibelungen - Nibelungen Nibelungen or Nibelungs,in Germanic myth and literature, an evil family possessing a ...
- Lorelei - Lorelei Lorelei , cliff, 433 ft (132 m) high, on the right bank of the Rhine River, near St. ...
- Christian Friedrich Hebbel - Hebbel, Christian Friedrich Hebbel, Christian Friedrich , 1813–63, German tragic dramatist. ...
- Brunhild - Brunhild Brunhild , Brünnehilde, or Brynhild, mighty female warrior of Germanic mythology and ...
- Richard Wagner - Biography of Richard Wagner, German composer of Der Ring des Nibelungen