(2 syl., mist-home). The region of endless cold and
everlasting night, ruled over by Hela. It consists of nine worlds, to
which are consigned those who die of disease or old age. This region
existed “from the
beginning” in the North, and in the middle thereof was the well
Hvergelmeer, from which flowed twelve rivers. (Old Norse, nifl, mist; and heim, home.) In the South was the world called
(Scandinavian mythology.) (See Hvergelmer Manheim.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Niflheim from Fact Monster:
- Niflheim - Niflheim Niflheim , in Norse mythology, lowest region of the underworld. A land of mist and cold, ...
- Hel - Hel Hel , in Norse mythology, the underworld (sometimes called Niflheim) and the goddess who ruled ...
- Germanic religion: The Creation Myth - The Creation Myth In early Nordic belief, from the mixture of the glacial waters of Niflheim (the ...
- Norse Mythology - Norse Mythology Aesir: Chief gods of Asgard. Andvari: Dwarf; robbed of gold and magic ring by Loki. ...
- Encyclopedia: Folklore and Mythology - Encyclopeadia articles concerning Folklore and Mythology.