A radical society of the maddest proclivities, which
started into existence in 1848, under the leadership of Herzen and
Bakunin. Their professed object was to annihilate all laws of social
community, and reform the world de novo. The following is their
(1) Annihilate the idea of a God, or there can be no freedom. (2)
Annihilate the idea of right, which is only might. (3) Annihilate
civilisation, property, marriage, morality, and justice. (4) Let your
own happiness be your only law
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Nihilists from Fact Monster:
- nihilism - nihilism nihilism , theory of revolution popular among Russian extremists until the fall of the ...
- S. Stepniak - Stepniak, S. Stepniak, S. , 1852–95, Russian revolutionary and writer, whose real name was ...
- Gottfried Benn - Benn, Gottfried Benn, Gottfried , 1886–1956, German poet and critic, a physician. His early ...
- beat generation - beat generation beat generation, term applied to certain American artists and writers who were ...
- Dada - Dada Dada or Dadaism, international nihilistic movement among European artists and writers that ...