Christmas day, or a Christmas carol. A contraction of nouvelles (tidings), written in old English, nowells.
“A child this day is born, A child of high renown, Most worthy of a
sceptre, A sceptre and a crown. Nowells, nowells, nowells! Sing all we
may, Because that Christ, the King. Was born this blessed day.” Old
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Noel from Fact Monster:
- Origins of the Christmas Holiday - How Christmas came to be
- Noël Chabanel - Chabanel, Noël Chabanel, Noël (St. Noël Chabanel), 1613–49, French missionary ...
- Christmas Traditions - Why do we have Christmas trees and other xmas trivia
- Noel - Starring Penelope Cruz, Paul Walker, Susan Sarandon, Alan Arkin, Marcus Thomas
- François Noël Babeuf - Babeuf, François Noël Babeuf, François Noël , 1760–97, French ...