(Christopher). A nom-de-plume of Professor
Wilson, of Gloucester Place, Edinburgh, one of the chief contributors
of Blackwood's Magazine.
He's too far north for me. Too canny, too cunning to be taken
in; very hard in making a bargain. The inhabitants of Yorkshire are
supposed to be very canny, especially in driving a bargain.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on North from Fact Monster:
- Roger North - North, Roger North, Roger, 1653–1734, English biographer. A lawyer, he wrote excellent ...
- Sir Dudley North - North, Sir Dudley North, Sir Dudley, 1641–91, English merchant and economist. Agent for the ...
- Sir Thomas North - North, Sir Thomas North, Sir Thomas, 1535?–1601?, English translator. He is famous for his ...
- North, Frederick North, 8th Baron - North, Frederick North, 8th Baron North, Frederick North, 8th Baron, 1732–92, British ...
- John Wilson - Wilson, John Wilson, John, pseud. Christopher North,1785–1854, Scottish author. Among the ...