A law officer whose duty it is to attest deeds, to make
authentic copies of documents, to make protests of bills, and to act as
a legal witness of any formal act of public concern.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Notary Public from Fact Monster:
- acknowledgment - acknowledgment acknowledgment, in law, formal declaration or admission by a person who executed an ...
- Inauguration Facts - Firsts and facts about presidential inaugurations
- Peter Victor DEUSTER - DEUSTER, Peter Victor (1831—1904) DEUSTER, Peter Victor, a Representative from Wisconsin; ...
- John Harris BAKER - BAKER, John Harris (1832—1915) BAKER, John Harris, (brother of Lucien Baker), a ...
- Calvin Coolidge - Biography of Calvin Coolidge, President of the United States, 1923-29