or nth plus One, in University slang, means to the
utmost degree. Thus, Cut to the nth means wholly unnoticed by a
friend. The expression is taken from the index of a mathematical
formula, where n stands for any number, and n + 1, one
more than any number.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on nth from Fact Monster:
- mean - mean mean, in statistics, a type of average. The arithmetic mean of a group of numbers is found by ...
- root, in mathematics - root root, in mathematics, number or quantity r for which an equation f(r)=0 holds true, where f is ...
- radical, in mathematics - radical radical, in mathematics, symbol placed over a number or expression, called the radicand, to ...
- sequence - sequence sequence, in mathematics, ordered set of mathematical quantities called terms. A sequence ...
- Poets on Poetry - What poets have to say about poetry|I, too, dislike it—Marianne Moore