He has sown his wild oats. He has left off his gay habits and
is become steady. The thick vapours which rise on the earth's surface
just before the lands in the north burst into vegetation, are called in
Denmark Lok kens havre (Loki's wild oats). When the fine weather
succeeds, the Danes say, “Loki has sown his wild oats.”
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Oats from Fact Monster:
- Titus Oates - Oates, Titus Oates, Titus, 1649–1705, English conspirator. An Anglican priest whose whole ...
- oats - oats oats, cereal plants of the genus Avena of the family Gramineae (grass family). Most species ...
- Joyce Carol Oates - Biography of Joyce Carol Oates, The author of Bellefleur and Them
- water oats - water oats: water oats: see wild rice.
- June 16 Birthdays: Joyce Carol Oates - June 16 birthdays: Joyce Carol Oates, Stan Laurel, Edward Davy, Barbara McClintock