I am no OEdipus. I cannot guess what you mean. OEdipus
guessed the riddle of the Sphinx, and saved Thebes from her ravages. (See Sphinx.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on OEdipus from Fact Monster:
- Oedipus complex - Oedipus complex Oedipus complex, Freudian term, drawn from the myth of Oedipus, designating ...
- Oedipus - Oedipus Oedipus , in Greek legend, son of Laius, king of Thebes, and his wife, Jocasta. Laius had ...
- Jocasta - Jocasta Jocasta : see Oedipus.
- Laius - Laius Laius : see Oedipus.
- Ismene - Ismene Ismene , in Greek legend, daughter of Oedipus and sister of Antigone.