On the confines of Macedonia and Thessaly, where the fabulous
court of Jupiter was supposed to be held. It is used for any pantheon,
as “Odin, Thor, Balder, and the rest of the Northern Olympus.” The word
means all bright or clear. In Greek the word is Olympus.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Olympus from Fact Monster:
- Olympus - Olympus Olympus , Gr. Ólimbos, mountain range, c.25 mi (40 km) long, N Greece, on the border ...
- Mount Olympus - Olympus, Mount: Olympus, Mount: see Cyprus; Olympic Mts.; Olympus.
- Mount Olympus - Mount Olympus: Mount Olympus: see Cyprus; Olympic Mountains; Olympus.
- Olympic Mountains - Olympic Mountains Olympic Mountains, highest part of the Coast Ranges, on the Olympic Peninsula, NW ...
- Ossa - Ossa Ossa , peak, c.6,490 ft (1,980 m) high, NE Thessaly, N Greece. According to legend the Aloadae ...