invoked by Thomson in his Autumn, was Arthur Onslow, the
Speaker of the House of Commons, termed clarum ac venerabilc nomen.
It was said of him that “his knowledge of the Constitution was only
equalled by his attachment to it.”
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Onslow from Fact Monster:
- George Onslow - Onslow, George Onslow, George, 1784–1853, French composer. Onslow studied piano in London and ...
- - Can't read file north-carolina/onslow-county/default.html
- Otway Burns - Burns, Otway Burns, Otway, c.1775–1850, American privateer, b. Onslow co., N.C. At the ...
- Edward Bishop DUDLEY - DUDLEY, Edward Bishop (1789—1855) DUDLEY, Edward Bishop, a Representative from North ...
- John Williams SHACKELFORD - SHACKELFORD, John Williams (1844—1883) SHACKELFORD, John Williams, a Representative from ...