properly means a kitchen garden, a yard for herbs. (Saxon,
ortgeard- i.e. wort-yard.) Wort enters into the names of numerous
herbs, as mug-wort, liver-wort, spleen-wort, etc.
The hortyard entering [he] admires the fair
And pleasant fruits.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Orchard from Fact Monster:
- orchard - orchard orchard, generally an area on which fruit or nut trees are planted and cultivated. The ...
- orchard grass - orchard grass orchard grass or cocksfoot,widely distributed perennial grass (Dactylis glomerata) ...
- Old Orchard Beach - Old Orchard Beach Old Orchard Beach, town (1990 pop. 7,789), York co., SW Maine, on the Atlantic ...
- cocksfoot - cocksfoot: cocksfoot: see orchard grass.
- Places Where Women Made History - Places Where Women Made History Seneca Falls: The Birthplace of Women's Rights Some people ...