(in Shakespeare's tragedy so called). A Moor, commander of the
Venetian army, who eloped with Desdemona. Brabantio accused him of
necromancy, but Desdemona, being sent for, refuted the charge. The
Moor, being then sent to drive the Turks from Cyprus, won a signal
victory. On his return, Iago played upon his jealousy, and persuaded
him that Desdemona intrigued with Cassio. He therefore murdered her,
and then stabbed himself.
Othello the Moor.
Shakespeare borrowed this tale from the seventh of Giovanni Giraldi
Cinthio's third decade of stories. Cinthio died 1573.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Othello from Fact Monster:
- Shakespeare on Film - Film adaptations of Shakespeare: Best in Show
- Famous Shakespearean Actors - From John Barrymore to Emma Thompson
- Helen Jepson - Helen Jepson actress, singer Born: 11/28/1905 Birthplace: Titusville, Pennsylvania This revered ...
- Giovanni Battista Giraldi - Giraldi, Giovanni Battista Giraldi, Giovanni Battista , 1504–73, Italian author, known also ...
- José Vicente Ferrer - Ferrer, José Vicente Ferrer, José Vicente , 1912–92, American actor, director, ...