A triumph; a triumphal reception or entry of the second order;
so called from ovis, a sheep, because the Romans sacrificed a
sheep to a victorious general to whom an ovation was accorded, but an
ox to one who had obtained a “triumph.”
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Ovation from Fact Monster:
- Standing Ovation - Starring Al Sapienza, Mario Macaluso, Michael Pericoloso, Jeana Zettler, Krystal Tini
- What does it mean? - anticlimax --Listen to the pronunciation: WAV format or AU format "After practicing my role ...
- caraway - caraway caraway, biennial Old World plant (Carum carvi) of the family Umbelliferae (parsley ...
- Memorable Olympic Moments: Kerri Strug - Summer Olympics memorable moments of Kerri Strug
- coffee - coffee coffee, a tree, its seeds, and the beverage made from them. The coffee tree, a small ...