I live too near a wood to be scared by an owl. I am too old to
be frightened by a bogie; I am too old a stager to be frightened by
such a person as you.
the emblem of Athens. Because owls abound there. As Athena
(Minerva) and Athenae (Athens) are the same word, the owl was given to
Minerva for her symbol also.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Owl from Fact Monster:
- owl - owl owl, common name for nocturnal birds of prey found on all continents. Owls superficially ...
- The Owl and the Nightingale - Owl and the Nightingale, The Owl and the Nightingale, The, Middle English poem written probably by ...
- Birds as Symbols and Omens - Birds as Symbols and Omens From ancient times to the present, certain birds have been considered ...
- Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole - Starring Emily Barclay, Abbie Cornish, Ryan Kwanten, Anthony LaPaglia, Miriam Margolyes
- Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole 3D - Starring Emily Barclay, Abbie Cornish, Ryan Kwanten, Anthony LaPaglia, Miriam Margolyes