Fast as a Kentish oyster i.e. hermetically sealed. Kentish
oysters are proverbially good, and all good oysters are fast-closed.
No more sense than an oyster. This is French: “Ilraisonne
raisonne comme une huitre.” Oysters have a mouth, but no head.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Oyster from Fact Monster:
- oyster - oyster oyster, edible bivalve mollusk found in beds in shallow, warm waters of all oceans. The ...
- oyster catcher - oyster catcher oyster catcher, common name for members of the family Haematopodidae, ploverlike ...
- Crustaceans FAQ - Crustaceans FAQ Source: National Marine Fisheries Services' Northeast Fisheries Science Center ...
- salsify - salsify salsify, common name for a tall, narrow-leaved biennial (Tragopogon porrifolius) of the ...
- oyster plant - oyster plant oyster plant, name for several plants, among them the salsify.