The rope which binds a ship's boat to the ship. (Latin, panthera; French, pantière, a drag-net; panteur, a
I'll cut your painter for you.
I'll send you to the right about in double quick time. If the
painter is cut, of course the boat drifts away.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Painter from Fact Monster:
- Painters - Painters Fede Galizia was born in Italy in 1578. By the time she was a teenager she was an ...
- William Painter - Painter, William Painter, William, 1540?–1594, English translator. His Palace of Pleasure ...
- Biographies of Selected Artists - Painters, Sculptors, Photographers, Illustrators - Infoplease.com - biographies of notable artists
- Patroon painters - Patroon painters Patroon painters, group of portraitists active in colonial New York from 1715 to ...
- John Singleton Copley, American portrait painter - Copley, John Singleton Copley, John Singleton , 1738–1815, American portrait painter, b. ...