(St.). Patron saint of children. He was a noble Roman
youth, martyred by Diocletian at the age of fourteen (A.D. 304). (See Nicholas.)
in Christian art, is represented as treading on a Saracen and
bearing either a stone and sword, or a book and palm-branch. The
allusions are to his hatred of infidelity, and the implements of his
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Pancras from Fact Monster:
- Saint Pancras - Saint Pancras: Saint Pancras: see Camden.
- Camden, borough, Greater London, England - Camden Camden, inner borough (1991 pop. 170,500) of Greater London, SE England. Within the borough, ...
- Lewes - Lewes Lewes , town (1991 pop. 14,499) and district, East Sussex, SE England. The county seat of ...
- Cagliari - Cagliari Cagliari , city (1991 pop. 204,237), capital of Sardinia and of Cagliari prov., S ...
- Vengalil Krishnan Krishna Menon - Krishna Menon, Vengalil Krishnan Krishna Menon, Vengalil Krishnan , 1897–1974, Indian ...