A hypothetical beast which lived in the East. Reynard affirmed
that he had sent her majesty the queen a comb made of panthera bone,
“more lustrous than the rainbow, more odoriferous than any perfume, a
charm against every ill, and a universal panacea.” (H. von Alkmar:
Reynard the Fox.) (1498.)
She wears a comb made of panthera bone.
She is all perfection. (See above.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Panthera from Fact Monster:
- Classifying Animals - Classifying Animals The inventor of modern scientific classification was Carolus Linnaeus ...
- panther - panther panther, name commonly applied to the leopard, especially to a black leopard. It is also ...
- Scientific Classification - Scientific Classification Classification, or taxonomy, is a system of categorizing living things. ...
- cat - cat cat, name applied broadly to the carnivorous mammals constituting the family Felidae, and ...
- leopard - leopard leopard, large carnivore of the cat family, Panthera pardus, widely distributed in Africa ...