(A). A newspaper paragraph. (Press slang.)
(At). Stock at par means that it is to be bought at the
price it represents. Thus, 100 stock in the 2 1/2 per cent. quoted at
par would mean that it would require 100 to invest in this stock; if
quoted at 105, it would be 5 above par; if at 95, it would be 5 below
par. (Latin, par, equal.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Par from Fact Monster:
- Fars - Fars Fars or Farsistan, province (1991 pop. 3,543,828), c.51,500 sq mi (133,400 sq km), SW Iran. ...
- Pär Fabian Lagerkvist - Lagerkvist, Pär Fabian Lagerkvist, Pär Fabian , 1891–1974, Swedish poet, dramatist, ...
- Pars - Pars Pars, ancient province, Iran: see Fars.
- U.S. Open 2000 | Recap: Tiger Dominates the 100th Tournament - Storming the Beach: Tiger Dominates U.S. Open A recap of Tiger Woods' victory at the 100th U.S. ...
- James Gregory - Gregory, James Gregory, James, 1638–75, Scottish mathematician. He invented a reflecting ...