means all that a woman can claim at the death of her husband
beyond her jointure. In the Roman law her paraphernalia included the
furniture of her chamber, her wearing apparel, her jewels, etc. Hence
personal attire, fittings generally, anything for show or decoration.
(Greek, parapherne, beyond dower.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Paraphernalia from Fact Monster:
- raft - raft raft, floating platform of wood, cork, or air-inflated rubber for conveying goods or people. ...
- heroin: Heroin Use - Heroin Use Heroin is usually injected intravenously, but may also be injected intramuscularly or ...
- seasonal affective disorder - seasonal affective disorder seasonal affective disorder (SAD), recurrent fall or winter depression ...
- Ku Klux Klan: The Second Ku Klux Klan - The Second Ku Klux Klan The second Ku Klux Klan was founded in 1915 by William J. Simmons, an ...
- Ghostbusters - Starring Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, Sigourney Weaver, Harold Ramis, Rick Moranis