(Greek, para sitos, eating at another's cost). A plant
or animal that lives on another; hence a hanger-on, who fawns and
flatters for the sake of his food.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Parasite from Fact Monster:
- parasite - parasite parasite, plant or animal that at some stage of its existence obtains its nourishment from ...
- Animal Partnerships - Animal Partnerships —By Arden Dore Imagine life without your best friend. Who would you hang ...
- parasitism - parasitism: parasitism: see parasite.
- PARASITIC PLANTS - Most plants make all the food they need by photosynthesis, but some species are parasites. They steal food from other plants, known as host plants. Pa
- wasp: Parasitic Wasps - Parasitic Wasps Some wasps are parasitic. The cuckoo wasps (family Chrysididae), of worldwide ...