Person or persons under consideration. “This is the next party,
your worship” —i.e. the next case to be examined. “This is the
party that stole the things”- the person or persons accused. (French, partie, a person.)
“If an evil spirit trouble any, one must make a smoke ... and the
party shall be no more vexed.”- Tobit vi. 7.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Party from Fact Monster:
- political party - party, political party, political, organization whose aim is to gain control of the government ...
- The Reform Party - History and background information on the Reform Party.
- Liberal party, U.S. political party - Liberal party Liberal party, in U.S. history, political party formed in 1944 in New York City by a ...
- Liberal party, former British political party - Liberal party Liberal party, former British political party, the dominant political party in Great ...
- Communist party, in the United States - Communist party Communist party, in the United States, political party that espoused the ...