The leaf symbolises the spear.
The five anthers, the five wounds.
The tendrils, the cords or whips.
The column of the ovary, the pillar of the cross. The
stamens, the hammers.
The three styles, the three nails.
The fleshy threads within the flowers, the crown of thorns.
The calyx, the glory or nimbus.
The white tint, purity.
The blue tint, heaven.
It keeps open three days; symbolising the three years' ministry.
(Matt. xii. 40.) (See Pike's Head.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Passion Flower from Fact Monster:
- Dolores Ibarruri - Ibarruri, Dolores Ibarruri, Dolores , 1895–1989, Spanish political leader. A founder of the ...
- Jacinto Benavente y Martínez - Benavente y Martínez, Jacinto Benavente y Martínez, Jacinto , 1866–1954, ...
- Billy Strayhorn - Strayhorn, Billy Strayhorn, Billy (William Thomas Strayhorn), 1915–67, African-American jazz ...
- Julia Ward Howe - Julia Ward Howe social reformer, writer Born: 5/27/1819 Birthplace: New York, N.Y. Julia Ward was ...
- Tennessee - Information on Tennessee — economy, government, culture, state map and flag, major cities, points of interest, famous residents, state motto, symbols, nicknames, and other trivia.
24 X 7
||24 x 7 Tutor Availability
||Unlimited Online Tutoring