(St.). Patron saint of preachers and tentmakers.
Originally called Saul. The name was changed in honour of Serigus
Paulus, whom he converted.
His symbol are a sword and open book, the former the instrument of
his martyrdom, and the latter indicative of the new law propagated by
him as the apostle of the Gentiles. He is represented of short stature,
with bald head and grey, bushy beard.
at Giscalis, a town of Judaea, from which he removed, with his
parents, to Tarsus, of Cilicia. Tribe,
that of Benjamin.
by a sword in the fourteenth year of Nero. On the same day as Peter
was crucified. Buried
in the Ostian Way.
(See Eusebius: Hicronymus.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Paul from Fact Monster:
- Paul - Paul Paul, 1901–64, king of the Hellenes (1947–64), brother and successor of George II. ...
- Wolfgang Paul - Paul, Wolfgang Paul, Wolfgang, 1913–93, German physicist, Ph.D. Technical Univ., Berlin, ...
- Adrian Paul - Adrian Paul actor Born: 5/29/1959 Birthplace: London, England Paul played Duncan MacLeod for six ...
- Alice Paul - Alice Paul activist Born: 1/11/1885 Birthplace: Moorestown, N.J. Raised a Quaker, Paul graduated ...
- Saint Paul of the Cross - Paul of the Cross, Saint Paul of the Cross, Saint, 1694–1775, Italian, religious founder of ...