at the Universities and Inns of Court. So called from the
French pension (board), pensionnaire (a boarder, one who
pays a sum of money to dine and lodge with someone else).
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Pensioners from Fact Monster:
- pension - pension pension, periodic payments to one who has retired from work because of age or disability. ...
- old-age pension - old-age pension: old-age pension: see pension; social security.
- social security - social security social security, government program designed to provide for the basic economic ...
- military pension - military pension: military pension: see pension.
- Beau Nash - Nash, Beau Nash, Beau (Richard Nash), 1674–1761, Englishman of fashion. As master of ...