The first five books of the Old Testament, supposed to be
written by Moses. (Greek, pente, five; teuchos, a book.)
The Chinese Pentateuch.
The five books of Confucius: (1) The Shoo-King,
or Book of History;
(2) The Lee-King,
or Book of Rites;
(3) The Book of Odes,
or Chinese Homer;
(4) The Yih-King,
or Book of Changes;
and (5) The Chun-Tseu,
or Spring and Autumn Annals
The Samaritan Pentateuch.
A version of the Pentateuch in the Samaritan character. It varies
in some measure from the Jewish version. Not earlier than the fourth,
nor later than the seventh, century. (See Apocrypha:
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Pentateuch from Fact Monster:
- Pentateuch - Pentateuch Pentateuch [Gr.,=five books], first five books of the Old Testament. In the Hebrew Bible ...
- Ancient History - Ancient History Before Christ (B.C.) or Before the Common Era (B.C.E.) 4.5 billion – 1B.C. ...
- Onkelos - Onkelos Onkelos , 2d cent. A.D., translator of the Hebrew Bible into Aramaic, his work later being ...
- Leopold Dukes - Dukes, Leopold Dukes, Leopold, 1810–91, Hungarian Hebrew scholar. He made a collection of ...
- Julius Wellhausen - Wellhausen, Julius Wellhausen, Julius , 1844–1918, leading German biblical scholar of the ...