To pepper one well. To give one a good basting or thrashing.
To take pepper i' the nose.
To take offence. The French have a similar locution, “La
moutarde lui monte au nez.”
“Take you pepper in your nose, you mar our sport.” —The Spanish
Gipsy, iv. 190.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Pepper from Fact Monster:
- pepper - pepper pepper, name for the fruits of several unrelated Old and New World plants used as spices or ...
- red pepper - red pepper: red pepper: see pepper.
- pepper tree - pepper tree: pepper tree: see sumac.
- pepper-vine - pepper-vine: pepper-vine: see ampelopsis.
- pepper: New World Peppers - New World Peppers The red peppers,. native to warm temperate and tropical regions of America and ...